SENIOR MEDICAL DOCTOR (OCBA)
To supervise the provision of quality of care at outpatient and/or inpatient medical services according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
The Senior Medical Doctor is responsible for ensuring the quality and safety of clinical care provided in her or his speciality area (including general medicine) and other technical areas when specialists are not available. S/he works in close collaboration with responsible nurse and non-senior doctors through provision of and support to clinical practice and services and oversight of an effective quality management and improvement system, according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures. This is a role that requires considerable field experience.
As Field Doctor:
- Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary
treatment respecting MSF protocols. Apply medical knowledge and skills to
diagnose and prevention.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide
appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits,
consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following
MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other
departments – in collaboration with other doctors - and informing their family
about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under
his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization
of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene
- Participate in the analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and
informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or
complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors functioning of
the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in
order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented,
checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard
risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is
As Senior Field doctor:
- Performs as clinical consultant for other medical doctors, providing bed-side
hands-on training when appropriate
- Functional supervision of the medical doctors in the hospital or outpatient
department in her or his speciality area providing clinical support. S/he
supervises also other technical areas in the absence of corresponding
specialists or Hospital Clinical Lead
- Supervision of the implementation of medical protocols, procedures and standards
used in her/his specialty area, and other areas in the absence of corresponding
specialists or Hospital Clinical Lead, ensuring that MSF clinical standards are
adhered to at all time
- Liaises with technical referents where necessary to ensure delivery of patient
- Lead ward rounds and organize clinical sessions
- Provide technical coordination and inputs under MAM/PMR lead for:
o Referrals of patients following agreed referral protocols in the absence of
Hospital Clinical Lead position
o Acts as technical Focal Point in the Project for eHealth, telemedicine,
radiology/POCUS, electronic diagnosis algorithms and Clinical Operational
Research initiatives when appropriate.
- Works in close collaboration with Senior Nurse and/or Nurse Supervisor
Quality of care: these tasks are to be performed in the absence of a Hospital Clinical Lead and according to the field needs and activities ongoing. The Senior Field Doctor will be in the best position to perform those, but they could be shared with other team members upon request:
- Performs as Quality of Care Focal Point in the project and in conjunction with
the MAM, NAM and Nurse Lead ensures the development and implementation of
clinical quality improvement plans
- Oversees the implementation of the medical incident reporting policy and follow
up of all medical incidents
- Collaborates and supports the ATB focal point in the rational use of antibiotics
and taking this role of focal point when pertinent
- In close collaboration with medical and nursing managers, supports the
implementation, monitoring and analysis of QoC indicators in the project
- Leads regular clinical review meetings to ensure quality assurance and
continuous learning in place and/or (in Hospital set ups) is core member or
chairperson of the in-hospital mortality committee
- In close collaboration with the laboratory manager and/or lab supervisor,
supports the coordination between laboratory and imagery activities and clinical
Leadership and training:
- Support MAM/PMR in identifying training needs for all medical staff in core
competences required for their area of practice in particular the ability to
identify and escalate the management of acutely unwell and deteriorating
- Provides on the job supportive training including spot checks and skills
demonstration in her/his speciality area.
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Upon request from MAM/PMR, supports that patients records, and clinic registers
are completed according to MSF requirements.
- Upon request from MAM/PMR, support in the use of established reporting formats
for data collection, analysis and report on daily & weekly activities to MAM or
Hospital Clinical Lead as required and follow notifiable disease protocols.
- Supports the MAM/PMR or Hospital Clinical Lead in doing the HMIS data analysis
of different areas
- Support that all consultations with patients are in patient centered a dignified
and appropriate manner in keeping with the Quality of Care standards and
principles set out by MSF
- Act as focal point for patient and caregivers’ complaints and concerns and
escalate as per MSF Patient Charter and Behaviour and Abuse escalation Policy.
This task could be either done by MAM or Hospital Clinical Lead when available.
- In close collaboration with MAM/PMR, support that systems in place to maintain
- Medical Doctor
- Masters or Diploma in Tropical Medicine
- Registered Doctor qualified from recognized centre with up to date license to
- Licensed to work unsupervised in his or her specialty area
- Specialisation in one of: tropical medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology,
paediatrics, infectious diseases, internal medicine, family medicine, emergency
medicine, general surgery or general practitioners. This includes equivalent
post-graduate training qualifications from different countries, considered also
for general practitioners.
- Senior clinician with at least 4 years’ experience delivering health care in
- Field experience is the most important requirement for this role and therefore
this will stand in lieu of formal academic post-specialization qualifications
(which will be considered as strong assets)
- Experience of supervising clinical staff in Hospital/in-patient facilities in
Strong communication skills, with good written and spoken English. Other languages may be considered essential according to the needs of the project and country of deployment such as French, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Swahili, Lingala, Hausa
Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PPT)
- People Management
- Teaching skills
- Complies with MSF policies and practice with respect to protection, code of
conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and