MENTAL HEALTH ACTIVITY MANAGER
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Reports to (Functional)
Medical Coordinator/ Project Medical Referent / MFP (if any)
Defining, coordinating and monitoring all mental health related activities in the project area including management of staff, ensuring the quality of care and analysing statistics and reports, according to MSF protocols in order to provide the most appropriate support for patients
- In close collaboration with other medical team members, identifying the needs of MH support in the target population and participating in the definition, planning, organization and update of the appropriate MSF strategy and the Mental Health (MH) activities and its budget. Monitoring and evaluating MH support activities.
- Reviewing and developing the technical materials, tools, guidelines and documents, and coordinating and ensuring the implementation of all Mental Health standard protocols and procedures set by MSF in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for patients.
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Coordinating and ensuring that Mental Health activities (in and outside health facilities), with the clients are performed with regular follow-up in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for clients with psycho social problems. Ensuring Mental Health team is calm and neutral during sessions regardless of personal feelings and/or beliefs and that the translators are trained about terminology and appropriate behavior during sessions.
- Mapping and regularly updating the existing Mental Health services, including other INGO’s, local NGO’s, community groups and governmental health services, etc. and maintaining good and regular communication and collaboration with other components of the project according to objectives and context. Identifying possible advocacy issues and informing MC and PC before taking any action. (Note: Advocacy is not under Mental Health Activities Manager accountabilities)
- Ensuring in close collaboration with medical department, that MH department participates in counselling as well as Prevention Parent to Child Transmission (PPTCT) and Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VTC) activities when needed
- Participating in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitRep, statistical report, etc.) and reporting problematic situations and cases with the Medical Coordinator to help with decision making and problem resolution.
- Ensuring that psychiatric patients coming to MSF facilities receive proper treatment including psychotropic medication and psychosocial support either within an MSF program or thru referral to an appropriate resource.
Degree/master in psychology or social work or MD degree with specialization in psychiatry
- Essential working experience of at least two years as psychologist or other similar profession
- Desirable working experience with MSF or other NGOs. For OCP this is essential
- Desirable working experience in developing countries
Mission Language essential; Local Working Language Desirable
Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- People Management and Development L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L3
- Results and Quality Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L3