PROJECT PHARMACY MANAGER
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Project Coordinator / Mission Pharmacy Manager
Reports to (Functional)
Project Medical Referent (if any)/ Medical coordinator/ Mission Pharmacy Manager
Defining, coordinating and monitoring all pharmacy related activities in the project area including management of staff, according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures and the mission’s pharmacist and Medical Coordinator’s guidelines, in order to ensure the proper management and supply of drugs and medical devices
- Participating actively in the definition and update of the annual planning and budgets of the pharmacy activities in the project.
- Supervising the functioning and organization of the project central pharmacy and other peripheral units, setting the protocols and procedures to be followed by all staff in order to ensure the quality of the service provided to the population, including pharmaco vigilance in case of need.
- Defining storage, stock management and supply processes, as well as hygiene and security procedures, tools, and protocols (controlling pests and rodents) in order to ensure good storage conditions (temperatures, humidity and light exposure) and the accurate handling of the products and equipment in terms of hygiene and that all hygiene and security procedures are followed in project pharmacies (cleaning, controlling pests and rodents, etc.)
- Giving support in the ordering and supply process of medicines and medical devices. Monitoring correct stock management across pharmacies within project area, to guarantee a good control and up to date data of stock levels and avoid expiries, overstocks and stock outs. Reporting on drug consumptions and medical devices dispensed according to protocols, informing on unusual patterns.
- Ensuring, in cooperation with the project logistic manager, proper maintenance of cold chain and storage conditions (e.g. humidity, temperature, light exposure, cleanliness, pest and rodents control, etc.), and that classification and organization of medicines and medical material meet MSF protocols.
- Ensuring the collection of data for monitoring and surveillance of optimal quantity & quality of medicine use. Supporting activities at service level for effective drug distribution and control, quality prescription (analyzing rational drug use), medicines reconciliation, antibiotic stewardship interventions such as restricted use antibiotic review, follow up of pharmaceutical care plans, patient counseling, good dispensing practices and safe medication practices.
- Supervising, coaching, motivating and evaluating all the pharmacy staff under his/her responsibility, in order to ensure the strict respect for working procedures and protocols. Ensuring that all pharmacy staff uses required clothes and equipment according to protocols, i.e. white coat, gloves, etc.
- To define, if needed, training opportunities for the medical staff.
- Carrying out all the reporting tasks associated to his/her field of action and responsibility, ensuring its consistency and accuracy, in order to support in the relevant decision-making and participating in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.)
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Essential: pharmacy degree (or equivalent 4-5 years diploma according to the country of origin of the pharmacist)
- Two years, of demonstrated, experience as a pharmacist required.
- Experience in MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries is desirable
- Mission language, English and/or French essential; Local working language desirable
Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- People Management and Development L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L3
- Results and Quality Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L3