Reports to (Hierarchical)
Activities Manager (if any) / Project Coordinator
Reports to (Functional)
Anaesthetist Doctor/ Anaesthetics Activity Manager / Project Medical Referent
Performing all anaesthetic medical activities according to MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards, in order to ensure the quality of pre, during and post-operative care of patients.
- Performing consultations to patients due for surgery, evaluating of the risks of operating (in collaboration with the surgeon), obtaining patient’s written authorization for their operation, providing patients with appropriate information on their illness and treatments, and deciding on what type of anaesthetics to be used
- According to set procedures, carrying out all nursing anaesthetics related activities during surgery in order to collaborate in patient's adequate anaesthetized state and safety during the process. Preparing the drugs, material, and equipment required for the surgery. Monitoring patients throughout the whole intervention and administering and maintaining anaesthetics following the rules of hygiene and asepsis in force.
- Providing post-operative care, including immediate post-operative surveillance in the recovery room and special patients present in the intensive care unit, in order to adapt the prescriptions, with special focus on patient's pain relief, during the stabilization and recovery process. Does round consultations with the Surgeon Doctor once or twice a day, discussing therapeutic orientations with the department manager, renewing prescriptions and ensuring they are followed. Systematically evaluating patients' pain to adapt prescriptions and/or therapies for their relief.
- Respecting, promoting and ensuring medical confidentiality and implementing and following hygiene rules, procedures and protocols at all times as well as looking after the integrity of anaesthesia material (decontamination, sterilisation, storage conditions, etc.) and other equipment, in order to ensure the safety and protection of patients and other staff. Knowing accidental blood exposure policy and procedure and implementing them when necessary.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Carrying out all pharmacy related activities (stock control, station's re-stocking, inventories, expired drugs, etc.) and other equipment of anaesthetic ward, doing special follow-up of narcotics and sedatives (register, consumptions, empty phials, etc.), ensuring enough stock-up and the good functioning to carry-out the medical activities. Drawing up pharmacy orders according to needs.
- Collaborating with other departments and supporting other medical services in order to support the overall MSF project with his/her expertise and capabilities. Training other medical staff when applicable and working particularly in close collaboration with the accident and emergency department and midwifery and obstetrics team in the maternity department (especially to resuscitate new-borns).
- Carrying out administrative procedures and documents (fill in of patients files, forms, statistics, data base, etc.), in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activities.
- In collaboration with the Surgeon Doctor, carrying out quantitative surgical-anaesthesia data collection, drawing up and sending out reports for the monthly follow up of peri-surgical mortality and for the quality of anaesthesia/pain management and informing the direct supervisor immediately in the event of medical error.
Nursing diploma with specialisation as anaesthetics nurse is essential).
- Essential 1 year of previous supervised work experience as an anaesthetist nurse
- Experience in other NGO’s and /or developing countries is desirable
Mission language and local language essential
Desirable basic computer skills
- Results and Quality Orientation L2
- Teamwork and Cooperation L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Stress Management L3