MIDWIFE ACTIVITY MANAGER
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Project Medical Referent - MTL
Reports to (Functional)
Project Medical Referent / Medical Coordinator
Defining, coordinating, monitoring all midwife and maternity related activities in a project area, according to MSF policies, protocols and standards in order to provide a high quality Mother and Child Health (MCH) care to the population.
- Planning, organizing and ensuring the implementation and supervision, in close collaboration with other medical staff, all Sexual and Reproductive health activities. Participating in the definition and update of annual project planning and budget, and if needed, in any emergency activity or exploratory visit in or out of the project area
- Informing other medical managers or doctors about any possible serious problem or complication (i.e. worsening of state of patients, problems in medicines, etc.). Coordinating and assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women to receive further medical evaluation, in order to manage efficiently the resources needed for delivering MCH care while keeping good quality levels.
- Assisting and collaborating with the field doctors and nurses when required (normal or complicated deliveries, SV cases, etc.), to complement the existing human resources and contribute to the resolution of complicated cases. Ensuring the new-born babies are followed up correctly since delivery and until discharge and that all pregnant women and new born children are referred to the Extended Program on Immunization (EPI).
- Managing the midwife and maternity staff in the project. Planning and supervising the associated HR processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, motivation, internal/external communication, etc.) in order to improve staff capabilities and to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Ensuring and supervising the implementation of protocols by all staff under his/her responsibility in order to improve the quality of the healthcare given to population and to prevent any infection due to staff malpractices
- Supervising the proper distribution of drugs and use of materials, keeping track of consumption patterns and supply orders, and monitoring inventories, together with the project logistician. Training the midwife and maternity staff in order to ensure having minimum levels of stock to carry out the activities of the project and a rational and appropriate use of material resources
- In coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating and communicating future needs.
- Supervising administrative procedures and documents, analysing routine data for monitoring purposes, and being responsible for the collection and analysis of medical statistics and reporting of SRH activities (participation in epidemiological reports and monthly reports according to guidelines) in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity in the project and to provide support in the decision-making
Note: 1. SRH Activities include: antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, female genital mutilation, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care.
Note: 2. BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocics, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and newborn care including neonatal resuscitation. 3. CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (caesarean section, hysterectomy, laparatomy), safe blood transfusion and care to sick and low birth weight new-borns)
Midwifery recognized qualification essential. Tropical medicine training desirable
Two year experience as a midwife. Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s and in developing countries is desirable
Mission working language essential, local language desirable
Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- People Management and Development L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L3
- Results and Quality Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L3