Reports to (Hierarchical)
To provide an accurate, timely, and qualitative dispensing service of drugs according to medical prescriptions and MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to improve the patient’s health conditions
- Dispensing medication to patients according to medical prescription, ensuring the medication is labeled with the correct drug name, strength, quantity, expiry date, directions for use and additional required information and providing clear instructions and advice on how to take the drug, when, how long, how to store, possible side-effects and any other relevant warnings. Making sure the patient understands in order to ensure correct treatment.
- Adhering to MSF practice policies and procedures for dispensing medicines, in particular those relating to controlled drugs and ensuring respect of confidentiality in dispensing
- Placing accurate and timely orders with the central stock, maintaining minimum stock levels of medicines, checking expiry dates and storage conditions and ensuring no medicines or material are taken out of the dispensary without authorization
- Maintaining accurate dispensing records and regularly reporting them to his/her technical reference. Ensuring returned and out-of-date medication is safely removed to a well designated quarantine zone for unwanted pharmaceuticals, separated from the normal stock
- Organizing and keeping clean the dispensing area, ensuring cleanliness and care in handling medicines to avoid contamination and mix-up. Maintaining dispensary equipment, ensuring it is clean, accurate and in a good state of repair.
- Maintaining the integrity and security of the dispensary by admitting only authorized personnel and ensuring that all medicines are stored as appropriate. Reporting immediately to the technical reference on any problem arising in the service (especially loss, robbery, quality problems with medicines (abnormal changes in colour, consistency, and odour) damage of medical equipment or medicines).
- Carrying out Patient Therapeutic Education (PTE) and interacting with patient using a patient based approach to accompany chronic disease (HIV, TB, etc.) patients along their visits. Receiving patients, informing about treatment and adherence, giving appointment for the next drug delivery. Informing the medical doctor in case of lack of adherence and identifying the reasons and finding solutions to improve adherence.
- Understanding, recording and informing on any complaint received from patients related to medicine use or side effects.
- Working experience of at least 6 months is essential