Reports to (Hierarchical)
Defining, implementing and monitoring all laboratory activities in the project area including management of relevant staff, according to MSF protocols in order to ensure the quality of the laboratory work
- Participating in the definition and update of the laboratory activities, including its budget, and assisting in the medical diagnosis and the treatment of diseases of the patients. Supervising laboratory activities in health facilities.
- Performing quality control tests and analysis, ensuring the compliance to the basic plans of the laboratory and that all tests (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology, compatibility, etc.) are done correctly and according to prescriptions
- Ensuring that the hygiene and safety protocols both for individual as well as for collective protection (i.e. required clothes and equipment, hygiene and universal precautions, etc.) are implemented in laboratories and that the cleaning personnel is informed about biohazards.
- Ensuring proper registration and records of all lab related activities, implementing a correct use of the associated management (EpyTryp. etc.), in order to have proper records of laboratory activities. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control
- Ensuring confidentiality of all patients’ laboratory results at any time, according to protocols in place
- In coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices under his/her responsibility so they can be used at any time (e.g. correct automatic instrument calibrations and correct and updated inventories of laboratory material and equipment)anticipating and communicating future needs.
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the laboratory staff of the project in order to improve staff capabilities and to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Compiling, analyzing and reporting on lab activities and results to the medical staff and the immediate supervisor providing data on complications, the total number and types of tests and in general, any problem with the staff and / or laboratory material. Also participating in the development of epidemiological reports relating to MSF health services
Essential laboratory technician diploma, desirable specialization or training in tropical diseases or other laboratory domains
At least 2 year experience as a lab tech. Desirable previous working experience with MSF or other NGOs. Also desirable experience in developing countries
Mission Language essential; Local Working Language Desirable
Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- People Management and Development L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L3
- Results and Quality Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L3